Monday, June 12, 2006

let's try this again

Proto-tomatoes!
Ok, i admit, this is a cheat. The one plant that has tomatoes is 'Black Pineapple' which i bought, it was greenhouse-grown. The ones that i have grown from seed are not that far along -- they do all have flowers though.

Lettuces -- Black-seeded simpson and mervielle des quatres saisons:
I love the colors. They need to be thinned, yum yum! The roquette is even tighter. On tonight's menu is a salad of baby roquette greens with prosciutto, balsamic vinagrette, and parmesian cheese shavings -- the first food from the garden! I will have to take a picture.
C planted her carrots too close together. Well, it was her first time planting seeds...
Here is eggplant 'Rosa Bianca'. I am showing off my beautiful plant while i can -- before the bugs turn it into a stick. At least that is always what happened to my eggplants in the past...most of them have outgrown their milk jugs now and are beautiful big leafy things. Hopefully they are big enough to withstand the insect onslaught -- and maybe having the marigolds planted right there will help a little too. I don't know that it is really true that marigolds keep away the bugs. They do make the garden look cheerful, though.

Watermelon plant! I have high hopes.
Bush beans...

and 'White Wonder' cukes. The other ones (mexican sour gherkins) are up too, they are very small though and not much to see.

Overall germination this year, for all the seeds i planted in the garden, was somewhat poor -- maybe 60% or thereabouts. I also had had a nighttime marauder in my garden though (Critter Ridder seems to have helped) so i don't know if the seeds didn't sprout or if, as is more likely, they sprouted and were immediately eaten for somebody's midnight snack.

No comments: