Tuesday, July 15, 2008

a nice recipie

I made this tonight -- Fettuccini with walnuts and zucchini. I really liked it, but noone else in my household did. A flatly refused to eat it at all, and dh said 'don't make it again, these walnuts are terrible'. C refuses to eat anything green at all, so her opinion is moot. The babies would've liked it, but they were asleep already/ But actually i might try to make it again, because i like it. I like the concept, which is sort of a pesto with zucchini. I like the fact that i can make it with zucchini (i have the stuff growing in the garden but dh only likes it fried, well that is not very healthy kwim?) and it has a really nice fresh taste. (Due to the fact that the zucchini isn't even cooked) Plus, it is easy & done quick.

I used baby zucchinis & fresh basil from the garden, which was nice. I left out the mint (i don't have any mint, hate the stuff) and i probably used too much basil because my version tasted like a pesto with some zucchini thrown in. But i didn't have enough zucchini to do it right. "I like regular pesto better", said dh...."do i have to eat this?" said A. In fact, he refused, and i made him clean the kitchen in consequence.

Next time i will use more zucchini and less basil, and no walnuts (they were bitter. Pine nuts might work, or no nuts at all -- that would certainly be cheaper). I probably wouldn't do it with mature zucchini rather than baby ones -- the baby ones are tender & have a nice sweet taste.

No comments: