Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Tomato varieties 2007

I have to list the varieties i have here and now, before i forget and it is never done. So we have one plant each of:

-Arkansas Traveller
-Aunt Ginny's Purple
-Aunt Ruby's German Green
-Black from Tula
-Great White
-Mortgage Lifter
-Paul Robeson
-Persimmon
-Yellow Pear

I have actually never had any of these before (except the ubiquitous Yellow Pear) so it will be interesting. I hope i will have time to record my reflections on these tomatoes here. I am upset because i have no Cherokee Purple, which is my all-time favorite...they did have them on the list at the sale but by the time i got in, they were all gone. We were there, in time, before the opening even....but some people had already gotten in the day before because of an error in the paper. So i was really annoyed. But i am hoping that either Paul Robeson or Black from Tula will prove an adequate substitute. I have little expectation for 'Aunt Ginny's Purple' which is described as 'deep pink productive beefsteak'. Well, if it's pink, it ain't purple. Maybe Aunt Ginny couldn't see very well...

The volunteers i have in the garden are probably from the White Currant tomatoes from last year, and i see one Brandywine volunteer. There is one that i am hoping is a Cherokee Purple but i am not holding my breath. I am surprised there are no Yellow Bell volunteers, but maybe the leaves on that bed were just too thick....

No comments: