Tuesday, June 13, 2006

rocket!

Baby roquette salad with parmesian cheese curls -- the first 'fruits' of my gardening efforts this year. The dh decided he did not want prosciutto on his salad...

I am happy to report that the rocket seems to be the right kind of lettuce. This was a big to-do here -- in France they have something called 'roquette' which is really a type of arugula, and my dh loved it. But the arugula they have in the stores here is a different variety, so once we moved back to the states he could not find his favorite lettuce. And when i was ordering seeds, it was quite difficult as well. I made the best guess -- this stuff, called 'wild arugula' in the Baker Creek catalog. And it seems that i was right. I do admit it is pretty bitter stuff -- even the baby greens are bitter. I am kind of afraid of what the full-grown one will taste like.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Oh that looks yummy! I can't believe you already have stuff to EAT! I will have to hobble out to my garden here sometime soon and check on the progress of my poor little veggies.